Who knew that fountain pens have their own day? It seems perfectly sensible to me. Lots of other things have their own day - donuts, bosses, talking like a pirate - fountain pens are better than any of those (well, let me think about the donuts). Anyway…there is, of course, a Fountain Pen Day website right here - Fountain Pen Day.
This is the second official Fountain Pen Day and it is always celebrated on the first Friday in November, which happens to be November 1 this year. There were approximately 600 people participating last year, and the number has grown to over 2000 in 2013! That’s good news! As for how to celebrate this auspicious occasion? Well, the Fountain Pen Day website has some suggestions and you are welcome to come up with your own creative way of celebrating.
Here are some ideas for celebrating the day!
- Write a letter to someone with your favorite fountain pen and ink. Under your signature you can write the pen & ink you used.
- Go through your stationary collection and use some of those you have saved for a special occasion. Surprise a friend with that vintage paper.
- You can make up a FPD “intro to fountain pens” pack for a friend like this.
- Post on your favorite forum or blog by writing it out with your fountain pen. Then take a picture of it and post it. Again, under your signature write what pen & ink you used.
- Instead of typing Facebook status updates and tweets on Twitter, write them and upload a picture of them (mention the reason that you’re doing it at well.)
- Take one of the pens you don’t use anymore and send it off to a friend with a handwritten note. If you don’t have any pens you want to part with you can shop one of the online retailers and have it sent direct to them.
- Make that the weekend you have your pen club meet up.
- Turn off your computer and put down the phone and spend some time writing.
There are also 51 vendors participating. Some are offering discounts, specials, and even giveaways.
So click on over to the Fountain Pen Day website and browse around. Enter a giveaway. Leave a comment on their blog. Check out a new vendor. Visit their Facebook page. But above all, be sure to show your fountain pens some love this Friday!